The Health System Redesign (HSR) initiative was established to facilitate physician engagement and collaboration in the redesign and/or quality improvement of health services provided by the health authorities.
Funding for the Health System Redesign Initiative is provided by the Joint Collaborative Committees, which consist of the Specialist Services Committee, Shared Care Committee, and Family Practice Services Committee.
|Physicians (Specialists and Family Practitioners)
|Supports inclusion and enhancement of physicians' voices in the development of health system quality improvements.
|Physicians' vices in the development of health system quality improvement will ultimately help meet the needs of patients and families.
Sizing it Up
HSR is intended to provide unique opportunities to involve physicians in the planning, decision making, and implementation of new or revised health services, in a manner that contributes to alignment across the health system and reflects the application of the IHI Triple Aim Improvement Framework.
In determining that a particular activity is appropriate for Health System Redesign funding, health authorities should apply the following criteria:
- Funding is to be aligned with the Ministry of Health priorities.
- Funding is intended to assist health authorities to receive meaningful physician input and engagement in acute and community-based service redesign activities and projects.
- Physician input and engagement should reflect appropriate application of the IAP2 Core Values and Spectrum of Engagement. Identification of the level of engagement anticipated in projects and activities supported through HSR funding should be clearly outlined for each project or engagement activity funded.
- Funding is applied for time-limited redesign projects and broad scale physician engagement in health authority service redesign activities, recognizing that these may be several years in duration.
- Funding is not intended for ongoing program administration, standing committee work or to cover the cost of staff positions.
- Funding is intended to cover physician participation beyond hospital administrative duties for which physicians are already responsible and compensated; and
- Funding for physician engagement in health authority HSR projects should not be applied where funding responsibility for physician engagement rests elsewhere, regardless of whether funding for those activities is considered inadequate. This is to avoid overlap and duplication of funding from multiple sources.
Funding is administered by each health authority. Please contact your health authority to learn more about how to access this support:
Vancouver Coastal Health
Suzanne Turnbull: Suzanne.Turnbull@vch.ca
Atsuko Tanahara: Atsuko.Tanahara@interiorhealth.ca
Jag Sandhu: Jag.Sandhu@fraserhealth.ca
Deborah Bartley: Deborah.Bartley@viha.ca
Janice Paterson: Janice.Paterson@northernhealth.ca
Provincial Health Services
Yuriko Ryan: Yuriko.Ryan@phsa.ca
Physicians invited to participate in Health Authority initiated projects relating to system redesign will be compensated at the current sessional rate for their participation.
- What types of Health Authority activities are funded to support physician engagement?
- The scope of successful projects and initiatives include projects that identify goals of improving health outcomes for priority patient population with complex needs, seniors, mental health and substance abuse, surgical care, end of life care, improving patient experience of care and projects that reduce waste and improve patient safety, quality, and better outcomes.
- Who makes funding decisions for this initiative?
- Provision of funding to health authorities is a collaborative decision of the Joint Collaborative Committees. Individual requests for project funding are decided upon by the respective health authority.
- How do I participate in an approved project?
- Physicians may connect with their respective health authority leaders to learn about the types of projects available for physicians to participate in.
- I am a contracted or salaried physician, am I eligible to receive payment for the redesign work I am engaged in?
- Yes, where the project work you are involved in is outside the scope of your contract, whether outside of the specified hours or deliverables.